Hillard Fried’s involvement in the criminal justice system began in 1980. In the more than two decades that Mr. Fried has been working as a criminal defense lawyer, he has been involved in thousands of criminal cases. Those range from simple misdemeanors to serious felonies, to first-degree murder and everything in between.
In a recent case, Mr. Fried’s client was facing criminal charges consisting of 4 counts of homicide. The jury returned 4 verdicts of not guilty in just 12 MINUTES. In a system where juries have been known to deliberate for weeks, Mr. Fried’s jury verdict may be a national speed record.
Mr. Fried is one of the few lawyers in the entire country, ever to have won a jury verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity in a first degree murder case. That result occurs in less than one-half of one percent of all first degree murder cases involving the insanity defense.
Mr. Fried has handled jury trials in cases of drunk driving, criminal sexual conduct, assault and battery, drug possession, drug dealing, manslaughter, negligent homicide and other types of criminal charges.
Mr. Fried’s expertise does not, however, end at the courtroom door. Recognizing that many clients prefer to avoid the uncertainties of the jury trial system, Mr. Fried has made a concentrated effort to hone and perfect his negotiating skills.
In yet another of Mr. Fried’s cases, the client was charged with kidnapping, an offense carrying a penalty of up to life in prison. Mr. Fried was able to hammer out a plea bargain in that matter. The agreement lowered the charge to assault, a simple misdemeanor carrying a maximum possible penalty of only 90 days in jail.
On the personal injury side of his practice, some of Mr. Fried’s more recent achievements include settlement of a Saginaw area-based claim on the day of trial for 5.3 MILLION dollars; settlement of a Grand Rapids-area injury claim for nearly half a MILLION dollars, and, shortly thereafter; settlement of a Lansing-area claim for nearly a quarter of a MILLION dollars.
According to Mr. Fried, great results like those have little to do with luck, and everything to do with a simple yet powerful formula: Hard work, long experience and professional excellence.
Mr. Fried speaks Spanish at the intermediate level.
Hillard Fried handles all of the matters in the following, non-exhaustive list:
- All criminal appeals
- All felony charges
- All misdemeanor charges
- Bond hearings
- Claim of Appeal / Defective Conviction
- Closing Arguments
- Federal Courts
- Finalization of Jury instructions
- Grand Jury proceedings
- Interrogation of Witnesses
- Jury Selection
- Motions for Directed Verdict / Dismissal
- Motions for New Trial / Reversal of Conviction
- Motions for Re-sentencing
- Motions to Exclude Breathalyzer Results
- Motions to Exclude Harmful Witnesses / Incompetence to testify
- Motions to Limit or Exclude Harmful Evidence
- Motions to Quash Bind-Over / Dismiss Charges / Judicial Errors
- Motions to Suppress Evidence / Dismiss charges/ Defective Search and Seizure
- Motions to Suppress Evidence / Dismiss charges / Defective Confession
- Motions to Test Evidence
- Motions to Withdraw Plea
- Objections to Erroneous / Harmful Sentencing Information
- Objections to Evidence
- Opening Statements
- Petitions for Certiorari / US Supreme Court State Courts
- Petitions for Habeas Corpus / State Courts / Federal Courts
- Petitions for Leave to Appeal Conviction
- Police Line-ups
- Preliminary Examinations
- Sentencing Proceedings
- United States Supreme Court
Talk to an aggressive criminal defense lawyer for free, right now! Toll Free – 734-545-4721